Thursday, July 24, 2008

Two years later, part two...



Her two year old photo shoot. I know, I know, the theme song of "Shaft" is running through my head too. She is a total Foxy Brown in the is outfit....





Look Grandma, this is WALKING!!! That is right internet, we have a walker!



So, when we left off last time we had just met our little girl for the first time. Awww, sweet. We are going to fast forward a months. Let me assure you that we spent LOTS of time with Norah's family before they went home to the Bahamas. We even heard Grandpa preach a very feisty sermon as a guest preacher at a church in SLC... Her mom, T didn't want us to have a picture of her (boo) but I am sure that in this internet age we will find one someday to show Norah....... I am so thankful for the time we had with them. It was important for me to feel some sort of connection with them so that someday I could tell Norah about her mom. They named her Hope and we called her Norah Hope. I wanted to name her after Derek's grandmother, whom I was very close to. Norah's names represent some very beautiful and brave women. She will understand that someday.



Norah has always, always, always been a very mellow baby. She was so easy to have around. She slept all the time, she ate like a charm (but always was really tiny--she wore her preemie clothes for almost five months). This started out as kind of a joke, but it wasn't too long before I started to sense that something was different with this girl. Different in the bad way. She seemed really floppy--but we kind of chalked that up to just having had Jacob, who is REALLY, REALLY, FREAKISHLY STRONG. She didn't roll over. She didn't raise her head. She didn't crawl. I remember asking my doctor about it when she was 9 months old. She didn't EVER support her weight on her legs. She didn't even try to crawl. Sitting up was still iffy. I kept asking my doctor about it and they kept telling me to wait until she as 18 months old. That seemed to be the magic age. They don't really worry about not walking or talking until then. As a more experienced mamma, now I know I should have pushed harder, insisted on more, but I just didn't know. Her 18 month mark hit right as I found out about Grace and all her potential issues..and those appointments didn't get made as quickly as they should have.


So here we are at two with a girl that has made SO MUCH PROGRESS, but is still very behind. Unlike Grace, Norah doesn't have a diagnosis beyond "failure to thrive". That means she is tiny and doesn't put on weight, she doesn't hit her developmental goals on time and needs help in at least 4 of the 6 developmental areas. These are 1) Language and Communication, 2) Concept Development and Pre-Academics, 3) Social and Emotional Development, 4) Gross Motor (e.g., sitting, walking, running), 5) Fine Motor (e.g., manipulating small objects, toys), and 6) Self-Help or Adaptive (e.g., feeding and dressing oneself). Check, check and check. So what do we do now?

We finally got the referral for an evaluation and lucked out to have a great social worker. She made sure we went to to the right doctors and did things in the right way. We are now knee deep in the early intervention program where Norah is getting (or will be shortly--those pesky waiting lists...) occupational therapy (there are a few sensory issues), physical therapy (gross motor skills and her hypotonia --that is medical for low muscle tone...), blind babies (not totally sure what that one is yet..some sort of eye therapy for after her surgery next week), speech therapy (self explanatory) and some behavior therapy (she doesn't cope too well..she is pretty much a kid that is either a 0 or 100. There isn't much in between. This leads us to think that she has a hard time transitioning). Good times, huh? I have a strong feeling that by the time she is in kindergarten or thereabouts, she will be all caught up and this will all be a fading memory. I think we will still have to help her find ways of coping with some things, but that is as much a function of her personality as anything else. A mellow, easy going kid just is. Motivation is a tricky one..

With all of that background it would be easy to think of our girl as just a bunch of issues, but it really isn't that way. I record it here for a few reasons, so we remember, so she will know and so others that find my blog and have kids with similar issues can either read about our story and progress or offer info and advice. When you get sucked into the "special needs" world, a whole new set of parenting info, lingo and learning curve takes over your life for a little while. It is always nice to have a network that know what they are doing...

The reality is that life with our little Norah is lots of fun. As I have said, she is my mellow girl, but she is also very good at getting what she wants. She shouted "MINE" at Cubby on her birthday when he tried to take her presents. I don't worry too much about her being bullied. I don't worry about how we will motivate her to want to do things that she doesn't want to do (so far, eating and walking....). She also is my sweet child. She loves to give kisses and has never passed a purse or pair of shoes that she didn't want to try and wear. She has the greatest hair in the world and is so patient while I condition it, brush it, braid it and tug at it. She loves wearing beads and clips now (she calls them her 'pretty girls'). She is is the best playmate because she will both roughhouse with Cubby and play "baby" with Lulu. She is my only child that loves "babies". She was thrust into big sister mode with the arrival of Grace, and maybe not coincidentally, she hit some major milestones not too long after that. She stood for the first time. She consistently used words (my baby--meaning Grace" being the first and most frequent). She is now starting to walk and be interested in potty training and sleeping in a big girl bed. The two year old tantrums are in full swing now too. Since I have done this a few times, I just laugh (and occasionally grit my teeth) and wait them out. She is picking up sign language really quickly. The whole family is learning so we will be ready when Gracie gets a big older. Her favorite signs so far are "cookie", "butter" and "chips". You'd think that with favorite words like that she would love to eat!





Hey! She is an Arrested Development fan so this apple didn't fall TOO far from the tree......


In Norah's world the facial expression above is a full on smile. This girl doesn't give it away.

Her favorite way to swim with Dad....


This isn't just another picture of a half naked baby who insists on wearing goggles... this is one with some actual meat on her bones... you can't see her ribs anymore. Progress!


This is a very rarely seen, rarely captured unguarded smile from my girl. She is usually giving us the sideways look that is half amused/half bored. Like this one below...


After her surgery on Friday, she should be able to see out of both eyes. I have to admit that I will miss her sideways looks, but I will enjoy her being able to use both eyes at the same time MORE (and I will NOT miss patching her... it is like patching a wildcat.... ).




















21 comments:

La Yen said...

I like the image of patching a wildcat.

And she is awesome. Even without a sneaky eye.

Unknown said...

She is such a beautiful little girl ... time has gone so fast, hasn't it!? I'm so glad you are getting good services and feeling confident she will continue to make progress. For sure she looks happy and loved, and that's the most important thing of all!

Erin said...

I LOVE her hair. Good luck with the surgery!

CKW said...

If patching Norah is like patching a wildcat, and changing jacob was like "changing a bag of cougars" I can't wait to hear what Grace puts you in mind of (love the cheeks picture!)
Your kids are all so good looking!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Love her rare smile. And best wishes with the surgery...keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh, she is beautiful!! I hope her surgery goes perfectly this week.

Love Grace's pictures, too. How do you keep from eating her right up?!

Bek said...

cwk...I would imagine that Grace will put us through something else in the feline family... can you tell I don't love cats.. ;-)

hannah m said...

Happy Birthday to Sweet Norah! I'm partial to the stickers on the face - epitome of cuteness.

Bek, the day I randomly clicked over to your blog from Angie's, I remember I couldn't believe that I was reading someone else's words about what I had thought so many times before - you had written about getting weepy before a slew of doctor's appointments. And while I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone, I was so comforted to know that I wasn't alone. So, thank you for sharing your stories.

All good thoughts your family's way with Sweet Norah's surgery.

Michelle said...

way to go on the walking! She's a cutie...praying all goes well with the surgery. Thanks for sharing her story too.

Lisa said...

You're right: she looks gorgeous in orange! I love that girl!

Anonymous said...

She's walking!!! She surprised me by
standing on the mini tramp and jumping a bit!!! We take those simple things, like walking, for granted. AND we all get so excited and rejoice in the baby steps (literally) forward.
proud grandma

Wendy said...

Wow! Is she ever beautiful! I hear ya on the patching. We did that with Kenyon for a long time and it sucked.

Wendy from Flippin' Sweet

Ivy Lou said...

Hey Bek, You are doing a wonderful job. I admire your strength. Keep it up!

Leisha Mareth said...

That swing picture should be a Gap ad or something. What? Do you have a corner on cute kids or what?

I enjoyed reading the recap on a very special girl...

Anonymous said...

she is such a cutie. i enjoyed reading about her progess. hope the surgery went well.
((hugs))
~laura

Jill said...

I laughed out loud about patching the wildcat....still trying to tame mine over here for his daily patching. Ugh.

We've had two eye muscle surgeries and our love is making steady progress. I hope you have similar results.

Good Luck

Cindy said...

Nora is one of the most interesting toddlers I have read about. Really, I love her story and how many toddlers are so fascinating?

You're a great story teller, mama.

-Cinds (Ethio triplet mama)

Betina said...

Nora's hair is so so cute in her 2-year photo shoot. Wow.

I think you are doing such a great job as a Mom with this little one. Oh, and the other ones too, I guess. :)

Why oh why are we not neighbors? If this could be, I would want it to be in your neighborhood, though. THen I could also live close to one of my sisters.

I just love hearing about little Nora. I wonder if she is my favorite of your 4 kids? Hard to say. I also really like Cubby, since rough and tumble mischevious boys need as many people to love them as possible. Then there is Lauren, who I wish would move in with me... she is great too. And HURRAY for baby Grace! I am really happy about her development. Your kids are all great.

Are there any homes forsale in your neigborhood?

Suzie Petunia said...

It has been delightful catching up with beautiful Norah. She is so sweet! I can't believe it has been 2 years!

Nikki said...

What a beauty!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com

melissabastow said...

I just read your guest post about the BSL mission and now I'm going through your ENTIRE blog. You are amazing, and your kids are adorable. I read this post and it reminded me of my son - there were so many medical tests and so much therapy and so much EYE PATCHING (agreed on the wildcat....it's impossible.) And although he is still a bit "off" and just starting speech therapy, he has caught up tremendously. He is the 3rd of 4 (all born within 5 years of eachother) and our other kids have had developmental issues as well, although not quite as severe. It's amazing to know how much help there is once you get into all the "special needs" stuff. I hope that it helps your little Norah! Oh, and the eye surgery - - we've done that too. It looked a little freaky for the first few days, with his eyes all red and puffy, but it didn't seem to bother him THAT much, and he healed fast. If only it was an absolute fix-all....sadly we still have to patch. Anyways - - you'll probably get more comments from me, because I still have more of you blog to stalk -I mean GO- through. :)