Thursday, October 05, 2006

If you like the Gap and Old Navy.....

Hi blogworld...

I have been really sick this week. The kids were sick before and now I am. I had a cold that settled into my chest and now is pneumonia (I am pretty sure... doctor appointment pending...). It burns when I breathe and I am wheezing. That is never good. Add that to the serious lack of sleep lately and well, I am a snotty mess.


The reason for this post is that I have some fun stuff from Gap for you. The corporate offices are in our area so we hear about cool stuff as it is in the beginning phases. We also get to see the prototype stores and get secret info (not really). One of the cool things that Gap has done is open up a new type of story. It icalled Fourth and Towne. It is aimed at the older woman with a little more money than the average Gap shopper and with taste that is slightly less trendy then the average Banana shopper. The Gap brand has been trying to reinvent itself lately, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...but the recent drop in company value on the stock market has encouraged them to stick to what their customers want...basics that are not too expensive and clothes for our kids that don't make them look like little Essex Girls. ( http://www.forthandtowne.com/#0.1 ) It is very neat. It will be really high end in quality and price and is aiming for the older woman (not old, but one that is not looking for trendy, only looks good on a size 2, clothes). There will be classics, athletic gear as well as some more tendy stuff and it will all mix and match pretty well. They want the shopping experience to mimic a personal shopping experience...you get set up in a dressing room and get lots of one on one attention from the staff. You never go to a cash wrap...you do the transaction in your dressing room. I remember seeing the brochure before it launched and now that there are a few brick and mortar stores in the Bay Area, I can tell you that is is MUCH neater then I though it was. I tried to upload some pictures but it wouldn't let me (shocker) so go check out the site....

This post was inspired by Design Mom (www.designmom.blogspot.com ). She mentioned that the designer's have gotten their act together and are making better kids clothes at Old Navy. It is true. You can't believe the focus groups and revamping of the brand. I did a little bit of research and discovered that previously they were targeting a customer that wanted trendy, low cost clothes. They are now targeting the customer who also WOULD buy high end stuff (because they want classic clothes..not trendy) but will buy them cheaper if they can find them. I didn't shop Old Navy for a long time b/c I didn't want my baby to wear low rise, glitter embellished jeans. Serioulsy, they had low rise jeans for babies. I want cotton and solid colors and modest and comfortable clothes for my little ones. Not just faux fur hoodies and low rise jeans. I think it was the same w/ Gap. They were selling "work" type clothes and it took them awhile to realize that the people who buy "work" clothes don't buy them at Gap. People who shop at Gap want great Jeans, basics and the occasional affordable trendy item. They have gotten back to that. Women who are looking to buy a suit for the office weren't going to Gap to find it.....

Back to the fun stuff...Here is an e mail from a friend in corporate. It is about a new shoe store they are opening soon called Piperlime. Have you noticed that they have been doing more shoes in the stores the last few seasons? Cool, huh? I loved Gap shoes when I was in college. It may not replace Zappos for my shoes (have you seen that site yet? It is AWESOME!!!!!!! and free return shipping so you can order as many shoes as you want and just send back the ones you don't want.....heaven). Also, if you are pregnant and live near SF, NYC or Chicago, you can go to their Old Navy Maternity Fit Sessions and try some clothes on give them feedback. You get a gift card and a baby gift. I am

Enjoy......Cubby's bday is tomorrow so I will have a new post after this weekend...we have Chuck E Cheese, rain and the pumpkin patch on the schedule...


Do you have friends or family members who are expecting? We’d like to hear from Maternity customers on product fit. (Please note that Old Navy employees and immediate family do not qualify.)

Old Navy is conducting market research through Maternity Fit Clinics the weekends of October 14–15 and 21st–22nd in New York , San Mateo and Chicago . If your friends or family qualify, they can earn a $60 Gift Card plus a bonus baby gift valued at $20.

Please forward this message and encourage them to call the number listed below for their nearest location.

34th & Broadway
New York, NY
1-888-392-5000

Orland Park
Chicago, IL
1-877-819-6029

Hillsdale Mall
San Mateo, CA
1-866-566-5187


Hi everyone,

As most of you know, I’ve been working on a new online shoe shop for Gap Inc. called Piperlime. Thanks for all the support you’ve provided – I’ve never worked so hard in my life, or seen so many shoes (Which may cause me to seek serious counseling). Many of you have asked about when we launch and what kind of discount you are going to receive. So here is some good news….

In the next few weeks, we’ll be unveiling the site, and I wanted to give you the inside scoop that we’ll be extending an exclusive launch offer to everyone who’s signed up for email prior to launch. All you have to do is go to
www.piperlime.com and sign up for email this week. When we launch, you’ll receive a special offer so you can be among the first to shop our site. I can’t wait to hear what you think of Piperlime when we’re up and running…!

Happy shopping!!!


P.S. Shoppers unite! Feel free to pass this along to your friends.

8 comments:

Carina said...

I wish so much I lived where the fit clinics are going to be!

I'm a die hard Banana shopper, and I love Gap and Old Navy for kids clothes. When they go on sale, they go on sale. It's hard to find cute boy clothes that aren't overly sporty or too agressive (I'm not putting my kid in a black t-shirt with a monster truck and a T-Rex with blood dripping from his mouth.)
I do a lot of my shopping online because I have the BR card with free shipping at all three.
I remember seeing the Fourth and Towne announcements about a year ago and I think it will go nuts here when they finally open a store.

And another Hooray for Zappos! Their customer service is awesome and their 365 day returns are perfect for procrastinators like me.
Good luck with the birthday!

Bek said...

I love that with Zappos I can just put in the size and color of shoe I wants and I get a million choices... I love shoes.

My friends are all die hard Banana shoppers. I don't go in there much....

Old Navy has REALLY cute boy stuff right now. Zip sweaters, waffle henleys w/ coordinating button downs. It still looks little boy but cute.....

Syd said...

Thanks Bek. I used to be a Gap-a-holic, when we lived by one. In fact I even worked there for a while when we lived in SLC. It was totally part time and my fav job ever. I spent every penny (and more) right there at the store. We were trying to have kids then, so I bought lots and lots of baby stuff. I had little Gap babies!! :) For the last 5 years we haven't lived tooo near one. So I mostly do Old Navy. But I do love those Gap jeans, they make 'em nice for the tall chicks!! And, check your email later today...I just saw your comment about Russia and I have something to show you!! :)

Emily said...

Gap runs through my veins, so it is exciting to hear the news of their expansion. Not that I shop there a whole lot now, but I, too, worked there--in high school, which was ideal because I was a big androgynous dresser back then. Thanks for the news!

LuckyRedHen said...

Of course I had to sign up for Piperlime - wonder if I'd get an extra discount because my daughter is named Piper? Hmm.

Bek said...

I think you only get the discount if your son was also named Lime...or if your friend hates to shop and she gives you her discout every month.....

Converse UK said...

T-red offering you the online services for giving order related to product. you easily visit and it also offer different type of discount related to the quality and packages.

as for the quality of the T-red brand they are the one of the famous and good and comfortable brand in the world.
for more information you can visit the site below
http://www.treds.co.uk/manufacturer/converse/21/1

shoe shop said...

I am fashion lover and I love to read about fashion and footwear can you share any shoe shop from where I could buy best footwear