Thursday, November 30, 2006

Christmas Cheer


Hi Bloggers,

I wanted to take a second to let you know about a young woman who is a close friend of our family (actually, she is my sister's dear friend since elementary school...). She and her husband have a beautiful daughter who is about 2. Becky has been sick for awhile and has recently found out that she suffers from a very rare form of cancer. They don't even treat it in Utah (where she lives). She must travel to Maryland every other week to get treatment under a special study and they need help with child care for her sweet girl and the cost of staying out in Maryland for the week of treatment.

Here is an article that tells a little bit more of her story. She also has a website
that updates everyone about her progress. It is a pretty amazing story. There
will be a fundraiser "market" on Saturday in the Heber Valley. It is the same
day as Swiss Christmas and the creche exhibit. You could come up and go
sledding, see the exhibit and shop and make a fun day of it. Becky is a very
talented photographer and some of her artwork and photographs will be auctioned
off as well. I also know Becky because she is a fellow adoptive mom and we have
had several discussions about the challenges and joys that come with that. You
would be helping a really great family that is struggling right now. I know that
many of my readers are in Utah. Feel free to post this message on your blogs.
Lets get the word out.

I know that this time of year is when many churches and organzations "adopt" someone. We often think of helping those that are in need of everything (the ones that have no home, no food, nothing....) and while I am not saying that those people don't need help, there are many people who fall in the "in between" category. This family is one of them. This little family is one of those that is not "poor" in the traditional sense, but they don't have great insurance and they don't make enough to cover the medical bills, but they make too much qualify for much help from the state. The cost of this medical treatment is stacking up and they are not only fighting for her life, but the are struggling to keep on top of the bills. Could your community or church group "adopt" them to make a meal? Do a fundraiser? Just write a nice note? Babysit while she is in Maryland getting chemo? They are dear people and have a pretty good outlook despite all that is happening. Even kind words would be appreciated. If you would like to leave her a kind note on her website , that would be great. Or if you want to just send her a card, let me know and I will send you her address

Happy Christmas to you all!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I saw the article about her in the paper and have thought of her since. We'll have to look into Saturday a little more seriously now...

dalene said...

Will you send me her address--I will write and I know others who will, too.

Thanks--

Dalene

LuckyRedHen said...

I'm sending you an email so I can help too.

Girl con Queso said...

I want to help. Send me her address.

Haley Warner said...

What a great attitude she has! I'd love her address also.