Monday, August 08, 2005

Goodbye Peter Jennings...

When I heard that Peter Jennings had died, I was actually quite sad. He always struck me as more calm and gentle then the others. I also remember that he did some shows for children. He was my favorite anchorman.

When I was little I remember seeing on the evening news the reports of famous people who had died. At first, I didn't know who any of them were. At some point, I knew who they were, but didn't remember them being a part of my daily life (ie...actors or singers that I had heard of, but never went to their movies or remembered their songs). Then I hit the late high school and college years. The years that I was pretty much immersed in pop culture; media, radio, TV and movies. Not too long ago I realized that some of the people that I remember from "when I was a kid" have died. Yikes. These are people that I was familiar with for at least a decade, and now they are passing. Hmmm. One more milestone that makes me remember that I am moving on to a new phase in my life.

Derek's grandma is really sick, dying actually. She tells us that if you are lucky enough to live a long and healthy life--by the end many of your friends and family have died. She tells us that she expects to have a HUGE welcoming committee when she finally shows up. That is a better way of looking at it , I think.

1 comment:

Carina said...

Bek,
I know this post was forever ago, but I just got around to reading it.
I honestly miss Peter Jennings, how retarded is that? Particularly with the hurricane devastation, I kept thinking (I'm such a nerd) "I wish Peter could give us some perspective."

Ok, I'm, a dork.