Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Back to business...

Picture of the extended family = Good (sort of, Lu is sticking her tongue out, Norah is giving the biggest stink eye of all time and Jacob was being forcibly restrained by my father in law--but knowing our family it is the best we were going to get).




Trying to get a family photo of my stinky little stinkers that wouldn't look at the camera = Not Good (check out Norah..she was mad!! As my sister Nie says "there is a large angry black woman in there...")



We had Gracie's blessing at home right after she was born. For those that don't know, in our faith we give our babies a special blessing when they are small to formally enter their names in the records of the church. Baptism occurs at age 8. So the blessing is like a less elaborate christening. I have heard them called dedications in other faiths. Anyway, it usually involves doing it in front of the congregation, having a special white dress and a potluck/party afterwards. My mom was in town when Ace was tiny so we just decided to do it then. The great part about doing it at home was that A) no one had to get dressed up and B) I didn't have to host a big party.

If I have any more kids, I am doing it this way again. We also ended the day the way that all good gatherings should end; with a game of Guitar Hero. Norah is our favorite family member to duel because she totally STINKS at this game....extra credit if you can guess where her hair ends and the TV stand begins...


I am also going to try and blog more. A lot more. It occurred to me that I have things to say and I miss having a place to put my thoughts down. When I blog so infrequently, I feel like I have to do the obligatory "update" post and I have more to say than that. I don't know if anyone wants to hear any more than that, but that isn't the point of this blog. I was re reading all our posts (both the published and the unpublished ones) from our experiences with our adoptions. It is so amazing to see how dumb/naive we were at first and how much we have grown and learned since then. I have just come out of a year of rebuilding and some pretty major events in my family (both good and bad ones). I have been writing this year too. Much of it will never see the light of day in blog-land, and that is OK too. I think the point of writing is so that we can see progress. Sometimes it is in the wrong direction, but it is still movement. Right?



So, check back for more posts. And, I have a few questions and topics that I would like to discuss and would love feedback on, or just a general discussion.



Here is your teaser--which member of my family was picked to be on a reality TV show (almost)? What would YOU tell the Gap in a focus group? Do you know a blogger (or multiple bloggers) that seem to be be very sweet and nice and sunshiny and are quite popular in blogland and have almost made a brand of themselves, but you know them in real life and they are kind of mean or not at all what they seem? Does it bug you? Should it? After all, we choose the parts we want to show on a blog (as opposed to, reality TV where you are at the mercy of the editors....)..... Does it make you want to write anonymous comments to them before you remember that you aren't actually 12? Me neither.



Gratuitous Ace Photo


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family is the best! So glad you're going to be around here more.

CKW said...

You look extra pretty in that first picture!

Anonymous said...

I loved the teaser! I know someone who is very popular in blogland. One blog talked about how much she admired her writing and when she found out she was a friend of a sister-in-law she had her invited to her birthday party and she was so excited she finally got to meet her. I know her in real life and just don't think all the fondly of her. I would love to make a comment on her blog about how she really should love and enjoy her children more but I'm so afraid she would somehow find out who sent it. Glad you are back!

QueenScarlett said...

Glad to see you back. I love your hair. You also looked like you've lost the weight fast. I'm still working on that. Fun pictures. Can't wait to know more about that last paragraph...you hooked me!

La Yen said...

I never get to meet anyone that wasn't already friends with one of my friends. So no big scoop on that.

But I would tell Gap to stop trying to be Abercrombie. That ship has sailed. Start making things out of fabric that isn't wrinkled to begin with.

And I guess Lu almost got on ANTM.

Erin said...

I think the photos are great. Screaming kids=priceless.

Great teaser. I've actually had a very recent experience with this where I met a blogger who writes fun and witty posts but in real life came across very mean-spirited and gossipy. It was disappointing and I don't read her blog anymore. It was a very "Mean Girls-esque" moment.

Bek said...

Wow...the blog post will be first..

Don't worry, I was acutally speaking in generalizations with that blogger comment (and speaking of mostly myself..I worry I don't come across IRL the way I do on my blog)...

You guys are great!

Heather said...

I know so few bloggers in real life. Sometimes I wish I could be friends (IRL) with some of my favorite bloggers... but then-- yes-- I do wonder what that would be like "for real" instead of in the blogosphere. I will say, though, that I do wish I lived near you so we could at least eat some pad thai together every now and then! ;-)
You look fabulous in the photos-- as do all four of your little ones. And re: the Gap-- I'd say to make their regular women's clothes more similar to the fit of their maternity clothes. I hadn't bought anything from the Gap in years, but now (preggo) I'm wearing nothing but the Gap!?!! What's the deal with THAT?!?!
hbj

wendysue said...

Love the photos Bek (and I love that they are REAL photos, we have one hanging in our living room where Matt and I are smiling and the kids are either crying or totally mad--it's real life, people!)

And I love the "blessing the baby at home" thing, we've done that with all of ours since my mom had to leave when they were only like a week old. SO much easier, less stress, and I thought, more spiritual. I'm also sure that people at church were like "I'm so sure, when are they going to bless that poor, poor baby!".

Can't wait for the next posts!

Elisa said...

Just a lurker here...
I love your blog. It's great to read, and I *SO* bet you are ever bit as nice IRL as you seem on the blog.

I also wish that I could be friends with some of the bloggers that I read... they seem like they could be my long lost twins.

Your babies are adorable!

Mayor of CrazyTown said...

Also a lurker...but I've been for a while now. Hope you don't mind. I think I read your blog because...well a couple of reasons. #1. Your kids are adorable #2. We have something in common and #3. You're real and make no apologies for it. I love that!

Anonymous said...

You do look pretty in the pictures... so does the fam.

I'm excited you're planning on posting more- always check in, and you're right, we write for ourselves- if someone enjoys it, then bounus, but at least for me, that's not the reason.

I'm seriously curious about who the mean blogger is-- I mean, all the people I've met have been really great... oh my gosh! Is it me!!? :)

Betina said...

You look great in the photos.

Weclome back!

Ace is priceless, by the way. What a little sweetie!

Patti said...

I love the picures, Bek!

Anonymous said...

Lovely reality photos--you'll treasure these more than any stiff-smile shots later on.

Please tell the Gap that the 35+ stylish woman does not feel the need to wear clothing suitable for a teen. There are plenty of cuts that flatter adults too, and we used to be their biggest market share. I don't want frumpy, just clean lines without a little upper or lower cleavage.

I also miss the sweeter line of baby girl clothes at the gap. Seems like once they hit size 2, they're all grown up in gapland--I miss the sweet baby dresses in toddler sizes--they really seem to make fewer types of those each season.

Suzie Petunia said...

Congrats on the lovely baby blessing. We've done it in our home, too and agree it is a good way to go. A lot less stress. :)

If I were 12 I would ask for names of the 2-faced bloggers... I wish I were 12 - 'cause I want to know!

Mumsy said...

Oh! I love seeing pics of your sweet family! You do look pretty. I agree.

And I can't wait for the new blog posts. My IRL friends and I have been very interested to meet blogging friends and see how they were in person. All of them I've met have been even more awesome in person. (I hope they felt the same way about me...)

Anyway, missed you! Glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

I love the nickname Ace for little Grace. It seems to suit her!

Pretty much all of our pictures of our family show one child being restrained by an adult. Seems that when the camera comes out they suddenly need to pick their noses, or put their arms over their heads, or their fingers in their mouths.

And you do look truly fabulous, my dear!

I worry occassionally that I'm either too honest or not honest enough about myself and our family on my blog. I'm pretty easy to get along with in real life, and kind of introverted and quiet. I don't know if I come across that way on the blog.

You, I imagine as high energy, down to earth, witty, and patient!

Leisha Mareth said...

I know some people who are crazy in real life, but come across seemingly normal in blogland, er wait, are we talking about me? (p.s. tell me who you are talking about really, I promise they'll never find out! Things move so slowly here!)

And, wait, so no one at church got to see Grace in her most beautiful gown? Isn't that the REAL purpose of the blessing day? See,there I go again showing the real me.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you and it's so great to hear you're back. :-)

We actually stayed at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay for a conference two years ago. We missed the festival by a week! You live in PARADISE!

everything pink! said...

congrats on the new little baby - what a darling family photo and to get everyone in one can be so much work.

Heather said...

Bek-
Where are all the baby pics?! I'm anxious for more!!! :)
When you get a chance...
I've tagged you for a meme!!!
see here:
http://johnson-mccormickfamily.blogspot.com/2008/05/5-things-meme.html

:)
Heather

Camille Bassett said...

Hey
I love that you said it in your teaser. I agree 100% that most bloggers are so fake. Their blog in essence is them feeding their ego. But like you said what really can you do about it other than be annoyed. My sister in law is the most annoying blogger on the planet. Yet I find myself going and checking it every day to see the next totally superficial thing she has put on it. I feel very refreshed by the blogs like yours where its honest without spilling all your problems on the table. To me its dishonest to pretend to be so perfect. My husband says its simply putting your best foot forward. Who knows.

Betina said...

Hey Bek, I miss you! I hope life is going well for you guys!