Saturday, May 06, 2006

Because I don't get enough attention....

Have you ever had one of those weeks when there is a 50% / 50% chance that things can go either good OR bad and you always hit the bad? Not really bad stuff, but just little annoying life stuff. For example...you come in the door and set the diaper bag on a chair. If you are having a good week, it will stay there. If you are having a bad week it will teeter on the edge, topple on to the floor and the sippy cup of milk inside it will explode.

Or.

You are on the phone with a client and you need to go get your 5 year old from the bus stop and you cut it really close. If you are having a good week, the bus will be a little bit late, but if you are having a bad week, it was 5 minutes early and has already taken your daughter back to school....which means you have to wake the baby up from his nap to go get her.

Yeah. That was my week.

In keeping with the flow of the week.....I was chasing my son and smacked my foot on the edge of the high chair. I heard a SNAP and then collapsed b/c of the pain. I even swore (which my son helpfully mimicked). I knew I had broken a toe. Now, I have broken a toe before and I know there is really nothing that you can do. So I taped it and ignored it. But, because I was having a "bad" week it got worse and worse. Finally when it was so swollen I was a little nervous and even a passing breeze made me wince in pain I went to the Dr. and got an x-ray. It showed that I had broken it right on the joint and need to to be "immobile" for the next 4 weeks or I will need surgery to put a pin in it. (So much fuss for a toe?). I was laughing so hard I think I actually snorted. Did I need to mention that I have TWO kids and a husband that will be in New York for three of the next four weeks? If I don't stay off it after all that time, I will have to have the surgery anyway......

Great.

So, if anyone wants to come over and feed me peeled grapes while they chase my kids and do my laundry, the key is under the mat. Otherwise, I will let you know when the surgery is............

17 comments:

More Caffiene, Please said...

I'm so sorry! I'm sure you'll have no problem saying off of it for the next month, I mean, you only have two kids, right? :-)

Rachel said...

that is so heinous. if you lived closer i'd bring your kids over for play dates. yikes. take it easy? it's gotta be safeway.com, delivered pizza and crusty ethnic, and a whole lotta relief society for the next four weeks.

Bek said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I am afraid our ward is getting tapped out (we have a new set of preemie twins in the ward).....

Since I ONLY have two kids I should be ok. Frankly, I will just put up the baby gates and lock Cubby in the saferoom.....and throw Cheerio's at him from the kitchen. The biggest threat now is having him step on my foot.....

Grrr

Remind me next time to tell you about how he painted my new couch purple............

Carina said...

Wait, what happened to your live-in slave? (K) Did I miss something?

Unknown said...

Ouch, I'm so sorry! Want me to kidnap your kids and take them to the beach with us next Saturday? Actually that is kind of a creepy thing for a blog friend (read: mostly stranger) to say, so I maybe should take it back. But I sure wish I could help!

LuckyRedHen said...

Does this mean you're not coming to visit this month? For crying out loud ;o)

Bek said...

Ana...take the kids......creepy or not. This week you can have them.

No, I can't come visit this month. If I stay totally off of it I won't have to have surgery. Yuck. I am looking for a day nanny for the kids. I hadn't spent enough money this month so I figure this should do it!!

Tracy, I was thinking of you. At least I don't feel sick. Poor you.

Carina...the live in slave. Yes, well she works two jobs so she can pay off her debt (and eventually move out) so while she is a huge help, she isn't around much....She did just quit her night job, so at least at night I am covered....BTW, your disk is in the mail. Sorry for the delay...

Sister Pottymouth said...

Okay, I don't intend to make fun or offend, but I am LAUGHING so hard! Why laugh? Because I feel your pain! Not that I've ever broken a toe, but I know what it's like to have weeks like that.

If you were here in Utah, I'd bring you yummy food and let your kids play outside at my house so you could take long naps...in my massage chair.

Bek said...

Thank you Julie........I might come knocking on your door next time I am in Utah anyway. Yummy food and a massage chair. Wow!

Yes, it is kind of funny really because it is such a nerdy story to tell. No, I didn't hurt myself saving a kitten from a tree or even by exercising.....just by walking.

Duh

Lorien said...

and may I say it's a fabulous massage chair.

if it makes you feel any better, I have itchy legs from using tanning cream.

Sister Pottymouth said...

Better than itchy tans from using legging cream.

And my word verification today is...winnr

I am a winner!! (Or maybe it means Bek is the winner.)

LuckyRedHen said...

Julie,
I'll be Bek's proxy and bring my kids to play, eat yummy food and sleep in your massage chair. Anything that will help Bek feel better and you fulfill your service duty ;o) Serious.

La Yen said...

At least you are not yellow. Should I send you some Bon Bons so that you can be laying on the couch, watching oprah, etc.?

dalene said...

Feel better soon. Be good to yourself. Stay off your foot!

(And I sympathize. Although the threat of surgery doesn't loom large for me, I've been hobbling around since Saturday--and I wasn't caught saving a kitten either.)

Would you please pass the bon bons this way?

La Yen said...

CW, only if you promise to get barefoot and back into the kitchen. Or you put out.

Bek said...

Ladies,

It is official. I am going NUTS and it all my childrens fault.

BTW...I watched some cooking show today and they were making chocolate bon bons. Hello? Have these people never seen NIB'S? I can eat 4 cartons of those in the time it takes to make ONE of theirs.....

QueenScarlett said...

BEK!

You poor thing. I just got back and read this. Which toe? I did the same thing... actually while leaving trader joes with my husband... he had Kalea in tow.

His right foot was in the process of walking and swung back to take another step as the clutz (me) stepped forward with my left foot and broke my toe on the head-on impact. It was the ring toe on my left foot. So stupid. But now I can claim to have finally broken a bone in my body. ;-)

GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you got some pampering... or will get some soon for Mom's day! ;-)