Friday, February 15, 2008

Ahhh....love....




I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day. I sure did.


My husband gave me the best Valentines gift ever!!! It just so happened that he has been out of town for the previous week, leaving me with the kids (pictures of the mass destruction to follow). His family was going to Utah to ski for the long weekend, so he took the big kids. Away. ALL OF THE LONG WEEKEND. This might not be as significant to you as it is for me, but I have to say that this has been bliss. I can actually hear the silence. I haven't said a negative word in hours. I can do what I want, when ever I want (and so far that has meant sleeping a lot). I cleaned the kitchen and did the laundry and picked up the toys... AND IT IS STILL DONE!!!!
It is just me and Miss Norah and we are having a ball. I so rarely get quiet time with her, it has been really fun to work with her on her therapies as well as just chill out with her. She actually does better (and eats better) when things aren't so crazy. It has taught me the value of getting this girl away from the chaos every so often and giving her quiet time with us (and re-enforcing that getting lots of help this year is a GOOD thing). I watched all my TV boyfriends (and some of yours), went to bed at 8:30 (even bypassing a girls night out, that is how crazy I am). My ladies are here and I don't have to go to McDonalds. I get to blog instead. Sigh. This is the good life.

Of course I miss my kids. I miss their little faces and their sweet words (those do occasionally pop out). I don't miss the markers on the wall, the mustard on the floor, the squabbles, the referee-ing, the constant messes, the diapers, the baths, the fighting, the whining, arguing about what Lu is NOT allowed to wear to school (tank tops and sparkly tights... NO), making bacon 3 times a day because that is all Cub will eat right now, car seats, Yo Gabba, etc, etc. This might sound terrible, but I just needed a vacation from my kids. Things are about to get pretty nuts around here and I can't imagine that there will be a time that I can do this again.

Even though I didn't NEED a vacation from the husband, it is nice not to have ANYONE to answer to. Do you know what makes it even better? He is SO sick (I just found out that he might have pneumonia). So, while he is dealing with the squabbles, the ski clothes, the diapers, and hacking up his lungs, I get to go to the mall and eat tortilla soup.
Love doesn't have to be passion and roses and chocolates (although those are nice too). Sometimes love is getting the H$&% out of dodge.
Ah, Love.

14 comments:

La Yen said...

That is, quite possibly, the best present ever. See if you can get a repeat for Mother's Day.

CKW said...

Are they already here in Utah? Does he need a hand?

Mak said...

Ditto Cyndi's comment. We aren't doing anything this weekend- We'd be happy to take Cubby for a while and go to the Dino museum or something...

I'm jealous- I just want ONE night where I get to sleep all night with no intrruption! Someday...

Bek said...

I know girls.... it is nice. It just happened to fall on V day, but I took it. He also ordered pictures and put them in the one million frames that have been on my shelf that I have been meaning to put up. Good man.

I don't know if he needs help, I will let him know. Cubby is in ski school all day, so it is just the nights. I told him that he could take him to Mom and Dad's if he needed to. Lu is headed your way though. She is VERY tender and might cry the whole time. HAVE FUN!

Unknown said...

I am so very glad you are getting a break. Good, good.

b. said...

This makes me happy!!
YAYYY! For you!

Miriam said...

Yay! Sweet pictures, sweet hubby. He really seems to get doing this selflessly for YOU. Sorry he's sick, but it is a wonderful gift either way.

Leisha Mareth said...

Sounds heavenly to me!

angie said...

What a wonderful gift! i am so glad you get this time alone with Norah and it's quiet!

Susy Q said...

Look how big they're getting! They look like they had a BLAST!

More Caffiene, Please said...

That is such a great gift.

Sometimes I have a hard time falling back asleep after (still) getting up to feed Trey in the night.

And then I imagine that I am alone in a dark hotel room and the kids are perfectly fine at home with their dad and I fall into a blissful sleep. Until...

Syd said...

Sweet. Sounds fabulous. We just found out that Dave has a cousin that is in Mexico right now and is eager to babysit. Yeah, we're going to live it up too!! Enjoy!!

wendysue said...

Hey nothing wrong with needing a vacation from your kids, I usually say I don't even miss my kids when I'm away. I usually realize that I did miss them a little once I see them again.

It's good for them AND good for you!

Kalli Ko said...

Life IS good for you.

I will confess this much, I secretly covet my "alone" time, away from my Hub and especially the stupid dog who is driving me extra insane.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, yes?