Saturday, February 16, 2008

Domicile

Holy Cow!! It was so fun to house shop and day dream about our house. Finding my dream home was just the icing on the cake. We are so excited to move in. Today it hit me. I have to MOVE. That means packing things in boxes (the easy part for me) and UNPACKING them on the other side (not my favorite part, in fact, there are a few boxes that I never unpacked from the summer--score!). That means work. I also just realized that I am going to have a baby. I have been ignoring that for the last 6 months, not because of her extra 21st chromosome, but because I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR ANOTHER CHILD. Strangely, she is coming anyway. In 5 weeks.

Crap.

Since my sweet husband (who is on the mend, btw) took the kids away, I was planning on doing lots of pre moving stuff. I was even going to clean the cars and organize the garage. Instead, I have eaten 3 Ruben sandwiches (my favorite, don't forget the cranberry mustard), watched the Animal Planet Channel almost non-stop (WHY? I hate animals.... something is wrong with me..) and pretty much have not moved off the couch except to fetch the occasional diaper for Norah. It is a good thing that my husband does not read my blog because I feel guilty for not being more productive. Not guilty enough to get off my rear and DO something.....

I finally got my hands on some pictures of the house. I didn't want to post the link because it has the price on it and that is tacky (although, I did send the link to a few friends and didn't realize that it wasn't just the PICTURES... sorry). I am going to give you a walking tour that might be a bit too involved for the average reader, but since most of my family will likely never see it in real life, this is the next best thing. This is also for you AJ... but I fully expect YOU to see it in real life someday. The rest of you are invited too, come visit San Francisco and stay for dinner!

I am very excited to get settled. I think that I am the only person on the planet that isn't on the Mid Century Modern bandwagon. I really do love the style and have often been envious about some of the homes and designs of my friends (and we have some families in our ward that have refurbished some Eichlers that would take your breath away). I am an Arts and Crafts girl. MCM just isn't my thing. It isn't how I live. The very first piece of furniture that I bought was Arts and Crafts (sometimes called Mission style). In fact, ALL my furniture is. Arts and Crafts style was a backlash of the very ornate Victorian style. Instead of being fussy and swirly, it is simple, dark woods, natural, straight lines, exposed beams (thanks to my sister Jen for giving me some good background). It is just very clean and simple. It feels very calm and the symmetry appeals to me. The best part about our new house is that the architecture is decoration enough. A few family pictures and we are set...

So, here is is!



Welcome to my home, come on up to my front porch!!







This is just inside the front door. This was the original porch of the house but now it is a really large entry way. There are glass "windows" on all the sides. One shows the outside (the one you see here) the other shows you a view into the front room, the other, into the dining room. So, even though it is dark wood, it feels very light and open. Also, the lot is very narrow, but this is the only place in the house where you can see the neighbor's house...







Just to the right of where this picture ends (by the crosses and the heart chest) is the open entryway. There are built in shelves in the left corner and that awesome fireplace (which will not be used for a LONG time. It needs to be completely upgraded inside and out). It is a smallish room, but since this is a dedicated "front room" that won't have a TV or anything child related it doesn't really matter. It is still a light and happy space.






When I saw this picture on the web listing I actually gasped. This is on the other side of that glass wall in the entryway. This space is the same size as the front room, but it means we have a dedicated dining room (something we have never had before). On the left wall (you can't see it) is some really interesting, but beautiful, built in drawers and cupboards. They are original to the house and will give us some great storage. You can't really see it, but at the top of the room where the wood meets the (original) wall paper there is a little ledge with some wonderful detail work. Can't you just see candles all around the room? Sigh.








This is the kitchen. The little window on the top left of the photo (by the fridge) is a little open window into the dining room. The kitchen was updated in 2005. AND it is dark wood. It even has an island that the kids can eat at (on my wish list) and a kitchen desk (something I have learned I can't live without). It is unusual to have a large kitchen in these old houses. Most have galley kitchens. The original owners knocked down some walls and made it a large space. Smart move and one of the reasons we knew we wanted it. It seems that around here you either get tiny dark rooms, or totally open floor plans. This was a nice middle ground (and one we preferred anyway).







This is the other view of the kitchen. It was taken from where the fridge it. On the left of the door that goes outside (so, behind that red chair) is the house access to the studio apartment. There is no picture of it, but it is up a flight of stairs. There is also outside access to the studio. The garage is on that side of the house and has been halfway turned into a playroom. That is a project we will finish in a few years. Until then it will be an exercise/storage room. There is a full bath and kitchen in the studio and a half bath and laundry room downstairs at the back of the garage.


This is the little family room area just off the kitchen. This is idea because it is a small-ish space and it is close to the kitchen (where I tend to spend my time). The kids can be close by, but not right on top of me. Just to the right (you can see it in the previous picture) is the staircase. There is a little nook under the stairs that will just fit the toy shelves and play kitchen. Add a TV and comfy couch and we have a perfect play room/tv room. It is out of the way (and therefore doesn't have to be clean whenever the doorbell rings) and easy to clean up. Perfect. There is not a picture of it, but on the other side of the stairs is one bedroom. It will be Lauren's room.



This is the downstairs bathroom. It is right next to Lu's room. It was also updated in 2005, so everything is new.




At the top of the staircase is this large hallway. I love that it is big enough to put a comfy chair and bookshelf for a nice reading space, or a desk for a homework station. It is having these extra, usable spaces that make this a good house for us. Not really a "room" but space we can use. There is no picture, but there is a bathroom and a laundry room just on the other side of that red chair.... and upstairs laundry was also something that I have dreamed about.

This is the other upstairs bedroom. It is just big enough for a bed, a crib and a dresser. There is a big closet at the foot of the bed. This is all that Cubby and No need. It is also right next to the master bedroom, so the babies are really close by. Eventually, we will turn this into the little girl's rooms and put Cubby in the finished garage room. For now, I need to know what the little tornado is up to.

This is the master bedroom. Small-ish but perfect. It is big enough to fit a bed, a dresser, a chair and enough breathing room to not feel cramped, but not big enough for a weight bench and exercise bike. :-) I love that it is bright and airy. There is another window across from the bed (not pictured).

Here is the master bath. Another thing on my wish list (you know, the list of things that would make you pass out if you got it, but not something you expect...). There is a HUGE tub and a great shower. It is also updated and feels clean. We have always had old bathrooms. It seems that no matter how clean they are, they don't FEEL clean when they are old. It is a pretty small space, but perfect for us.


This was what put us over the top on this house (besides the studio apt). We knew we needed a place for full time help to live. That means that the fourth bedroom was gone. We weren't sure if there was a space to put the baby. This is the closet in the master bedroom. It is the size of the garage. They knocked a hole in the wall (and made a secret door that is behind a bookcase, very Scooby Doo). The first half is a huge closet with TONS of shelves. The second half is what will become the baby's nursery. There is plenty of room for a crib, a rocking chair, a changing table/dresser and a great window. We aren't sure if it is insulated, but since we OWN this house and don't have stupid home owners rules, we can put a window air unit if we need to. This becomes our 4th bedroom. It is quiet and private and means I can take care of baby in the night and not have to move to the couch (Derek gets a pass on night baby care since he works at 4:00 am..... ). Pretty slick, huh?

Finally, this is the whole reason we needed a bigger place. My poor Cubby needs a place to run around. The yard isn't very big, but it is big enough to have a sandbox, a play structure and room to hit a ball. We were kind of bummed that the deck takes up about half of the yard space and considered taking it out. When the engineers report came back, they told us that the yard doesn't have great drainage (all of our town is on a gentle upward slope and we are at the bottom. We needed to be sure that all the runoff didn't empty into our foundation) and that the problem area is under the deck. It needs to be taken up, have proper pipes put in and replaced. Sweet. We just won't replace it all the way. Problem solved. The other plus to this property is that because of the slope of the land, the property behind us sits on a terraced lot (so that no one has a slanted back yard). This means that the fence behind us is about 12 feet tall. The one on the left side of this picture is about 8 feet. The other side is the side of the garage/studio. All of this translates into 1) not seeing the neighbors and 2) a Cubby proof yard. I am sure he will figure out a way to escape from it somehow, but it might take us awhile.

So that is it!! Our new house. It feels like a great fresh start. A new school for the kids, a new town for us, closer to work for dad (and a MUCH shorter commute), a new congregation, a neighborhood with yards and trees and sidewalks and kids. I am very sad to leave our community here after 10 great years, but excited about getting to know the new one. Besides, we are only about 15 miles away. I will still be down here all the time for doctors appointments and play dates. So it isn't REALLY goodbye.


49 comments:

Stephanie said...

Bek, I am SO happy for you ... it is absolutely beautiful!!

Unknown said...

OH Bek! Absolutely gorgeous, you very lucky girl! I am all over the Arts & Crafts. That house would be a dream come true for me. Talk to it and tell me if it has a twin anywhere. Preferably somewhere cheaper.

QueenScarlett said...

How fun!!! CONGRATS. Very excited for you. It's absolutely lovely. I'm not a MCM person... and I love how bright and airy it is...plus I'm a fan of dark wood.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, your house is gorgeous!! It looks just perfect!

petie said...

That is the most beautiful home I have ever seen -- even in pictures! I know it's a lot of work, and I'm glad you're joining me in our catatonic denial of the whole process! You deserved to relax this weekend and eat sandwiches. . .you can do that other stuff when your kids are home and you don't have peace and quiet!! Congratulations.

Erin said...

Love, love, love the house! Congrats. (I not much of a Mid-century modern girl, either)

Bek said...

And I thought the whole world was MCM. I WISH that I was that cool.

It is a good house, huh? I feel so lucky to have found this little gem. Ana, sadly I don't know if it does have a twin. We lucked out b/c the previous owner was only in there for 2 years and the owner before that was there for 60 years. The rest of the houses in the area have been "renovated" and, well, ruined. This one was very, very lovingly refurbished by a daughter of the family and kept true to it's original style. Very rare around here.... but you can come and visit!! (and don't even get me started on how much we have to pay for the "privelege" or living on the penninsula in a place with a yard...).

Thanks for the support. I sometimes wonder if I am crazy, then I go back and look at the pictures and realize I MIGHT like this house more than my kids. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on the MCM- give me some Frank Lloyd Wright anyday- and you can have your Eichler!

That said, you already know I love it- and I DO plan on seeing it someday. Wish I could fly down to help- really really reall wish it.

LuckyRedHen said...

Oh, I lovelovelove this HOUSE! It's EXACTLY what I would buy if I were to house shop in CA... EXACTLY. I, too, am not a MCM person, though I do appreciate the style (I'm just too ecclectic). When we come visit Ben's sister in San Jose, I DEFINITELY will pop over for a tour - YUM! And the huge closet is EXACTLY what my friend of 6 kids had for her babies... quiet, private and close for ease. LOVE that you have a studio apt. for live-in help!

Carina said...

You know I'm an MCM girl, but I also love Arts & Crafts. I love the built-ins, the attention to detail, the woodwork, the shapes, the colors, and your house has got them all! It's a beautiful house and looks like it will serve you perfectly.

You scored on the renovation. I love a reno that stays true to the architectural style of the home. most renos are hack-jobs that people should be ashamed of--and yours looks fantastic.

Congrats!

(p.s. MCM, Arts & Crafts/Art Nouveau, and Deco are my favs. I guess I'm just a 20th century girl.)

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Wow. From the first picture of the outside I was like "she just found the perfect house". Envious? Hell ya. ENJOY!!! Nathan keeps threatening to take me back to CA for our 5th anniversary in a few weeks (nothing would warm my heart more than a day out and dinner in Walnut Creek), but with nothing to do with the kids, it may only be a dream. That said - keep your phone close! If we come, I'll need a tour! (and help pack a few boxes, of course!)

Unknown said...

Wow Bek. I absolutely love that house. It is gorgeous! I can't wait to see it, which will be sooner rather than later.

I think our whole flat could fit in the kitchen, and instead of a living room/bathroom/yard we get the privilege of paying to live on Abbey Road, right next to the Abbey Road Studios (yeah, the Beatles geek in me screams that it's worth it).

I'm so excited to come back to Utah and see everyone!

More Caffiene, Please said...

It's so gorgous! I love arts and crafts - my favorite as well. The dark wood is to die for. Good luck with the move!

Bek said...

Azucar, you and Lisa are the ones that are cool enough to pull off MCM. I just can't do it well. That being said, I will take ANY and all decorating advice.

Again, we are open for visitors (even previously unknown blog friends). Our live in help doesn't move in until July, so you have lots of space to spread out until then. Anyone? Anyone?

wendysue said...

Oh Bek! There is so much I love about your new house! I LOVE the arts and crafts style too! And love it even more when the bathrooms and kitchen are updated!!

The built ins, dark wood, it's all beautiful! And holy cow, THAT is a closet? And p.s. my sister has a huge one too, and that's where their sons "bedroom" is too. It's perfect.

Bek said...

see what we have to resort to in California? (is this the sister that lives in Santa Rosa?). ANYTHING can be a bedroom.

My first two kids spent the better part of their first year living in the walk in closet (just a regular old small one). :-)

angie said...

it is so beautiful! we will miss you - i feel like i was just getting to know you! but, what a wonderful breath of fresh air - literally with that yard!

Bek said...

Angie, I will be around. I plan on coming to music class (if you keep doing it) and will be down here ALL the time for dr. appts w/ the babies. I also will see Suzi and Jen... so I am not really gone... just farther away.. :-)

Nellie said...

I love it! I am really happy for you -- fresh starts are always a good thing -- especially if you get to remain in great weather:). How I miss Bay Area weather! And the house is gorgeous!! XOXO

Kalli Ko said...

Bek, you are moving into the home of my dreams. And I'm serious.

I love it so much!

Bek said...

Yay!! I am so glad to hear the nice words because I am REALLY stressing over the mortgage and wondering if we could have squeezed out a FEW more years in the condo.

For those that have asked, the house is in Burlingame, about halfway between where we live now and SF. It is a town that is very similar to where we live now..very suburban feeling...

I will be sure to post pictures after me move in..although it might never be that clean again. Ever.

wendysue said...

Yep, same sister. She figured, their room is the only one on the main floor and the closet is nice and big and dark, so it works.

Emily said...

Bek, it's absolutely gorgeous! I'm thrilled for your family and your new start.

Leisha Mareth said...

Oh my...it is breathtaking and so perfect for your family! My favorite part is the porch and the "Scooby Doo" room!

liz said...

wow- STUNNING! congratulations. we are hoping this is our year for our first house. can't wait.

Emily S. said...

That is a dream house! I absolutely love it - Wes does too. We were both just oohing and aahing about it. It's definitely my style and there are so many design aspects that appeal to me. Post more pictures of it after you've settled in, ok? Good luck and congratulations!
p.s. I am curious to know where it is. You probably don't want to post that but email me if you get a chance. What town?

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

oh kins,
it's beautiful, seriously a dream home!!! every pic i held my breath! wow!!!1

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! It's absolutely beautiful and seems so perfect for all of you. Congrats!

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Sooooo beautiful! I am SO happy for you, too!

angie said...

What a beautiful home! I'm so excited for you Bek!

Deanna said...

Bek

What a wonderful Home :) Congrats on so many blessings in your life including the upcoming arrival. I am a friend of Christy's from Lafayette and an adoptive mom as well. Our family is coming to CA in June on a road trip with pop up camper in tow. My husband is going to cycle down the coast of CA to San Fran before we head back to Indiana - Maybe we could meet :) Stop by our small blog to meet our crew :) Deanna

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Bek, I just sent the link to this post to my husband in the next room via MSN Messenger.

This was him: Holy Crap. HOLY CRAP. HOLY HOLY CRAP!

Repeat. Etc.

We are so happy for you!

Bek said...

Thanks everyone,

CJane, you are one of those people that would do a MCM house SO WELL.. but if you do want an AandC, come out here and get one. It will only cost you the low low price of your first three children.... ;-)

How as SF?

Single PAP said...

oh my gosh, your house is amazing!!!

Unknown said...

You're due in 5 weeks! Holy cow, have I been out of the loop! The new Casa de Bek is lovely. Can I just say, I love how you describe certain things as "smallish" when they are enormous compared to our dinky Euro-house! I haven't had a chance to catch up entirely, but it sounds like things are going well. Congrats!

Bek said...

I know... but really Jen, having lived in England, they are HUGE....but small-ish... I remember the tiny front rooms in all the flat's that I have lived in, but not with kids... yikes!!

Heather said...

That is *my* dream house too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously! I'm so thrilled for you!!!
:)
Heather

Anonymous said...

Wow... lovely home and well deserved!

BTW you have been tagged. go to my blog and check out the rules. Pep tagged me and I'm tagging you. You are one of two people I know who she didn't tag who have a blogs and I need 7.

Take care!

Mary said...

It's beautiful- all of it! That huge master bedroom closet will make a perfect nursery.

Wendy said...

Wow! I am in love with your new house. And a tad jealous. It is beautiful and has such tremendous character.

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Your new house is beautiful!

Patti said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so in-love with your new home. Much love and happiness.

I'm an Arts & Crafts kinda girl too...

Single PAP said...

by the way bek, i closed my adoption blog and opened one at lauraligaya@blogspot since the adoption is on hold....
~laura

Betina said...

AMAZING!!!! I am really happy for you guys. Noone deserves an awesome house more than you.

Good luck moving!

Suzie Petunia said...

WOW! I love everything about it. I studied every picture and hung on your every word. You bought MY dream house! Only problem is... where is my guest bedroom? :)

Lindsey from The R House said...

waaaay jealous. way. very, very cool house.

everything pink! said...

oh my this is dreamy!

Phoebe said...

Wow! This really made me miss home (I'm a native Californian). I know you will enjoy every inch of it.