Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What I did on my summer vacation.....

Earlier in the summer Derek's family made plans to take a trip to San Diego. We go on a vacation with them every year. Every other year it is a "big" trip. We have been to Hawaii several times, last year we went to Tuscany for cooking school and who knows where the future trips will be (Africa, I hope). On the off years we take a trip that doesn't require a long plane ride, passports and shots. Also, we can bring the kids. :-)

It turned out that Norah was only two weeks when we were scheduled to go. I went back and forth about whether to go or not, but in the end we got an extra room (so everyone else could sleep) and we were off. We stayed at a small-ish hotel RIGHT on the beach in La Jolla. It was great to be so close to the sand. We had a public beach, a pool and a huge playground structure and park right next door to the hotel. In a word.....awesome!! Jacob loved the sand have the time and hated it the other half (it was so soft...I have never seen sand like it...not up here anyway....). We usually hit the beach early and were in the normal pool by 10:00 am.

I finally cracked out my camera and took pictures. This one is for the grandmas!! We did the beach (fun), the zoo (not fun), Seaworld (started fun then turned QUICKLY into NOT AT ALL FUN) and general sitting around. It was great. Just yesterday my mom reminded me she hadn't seem many pictures of the kids...so here they are Mamma Jane. Here is the warning... there are a ton of pictures on this....so leave now if you aren't as interested as a grandma!!


The kids loved to go in the ocean but were a bit worried at first...especially Cubby


Lucky Daddy gets to hold all of Lu's "treasures"


We built lots of sand castles...

This bucket was a source of endless fun for the boy. Mostly it stayed on his head.





Jacob still loves sand...he spent many hours playing in it and was fine, as long as it wasn't on his feet.



This was the hotel's "childrens pool". It looked suspiciously like a fountian that was turned off. Or is it just me? Jcob sat in this pool for hours at a time. When you see the pictures of him "swimming" you will see why that is just fine with me. The boy think he can swim. This way I didn't have to keep scooping him off the bottom of the pool.


Lauren thinks the best part about hotels is the bathrobe!! This was taken on the morning of her actual birthday. She got room service breakfast in bed. We love that (especially when I don't have to worry about the sheets).

Jacob eating the rest of Lu's breakfast. I loved the light on his skin in this picture. He looks so little here.


I am not going to push my luck with blogger tonight so I will post the rest tomorrow.

12 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, these are such cute pictures. I loved seeing them!

Thanks for your comment on my WFMW list of age appropriate children’s chores post! I'll email you that list later today. Unfortunately I left it on my work laptop and I'm at home right now. :)

Girl con Queso said...

Great photos! What incredible treasures.

Julie said...

Fantastic pics! Your kids are hilarious and SO cute! Also, you're incredibly brave (crazy?) for vacationing with a 2 week old.

The zoo? Not good? It was one of our fave San Diego spots, but maybe that's because we were kidless?

Bek said...

Julie...

Lets just say that Derek wouldn't come with us and I was wrestling the boy all by myself. It was one million degrees outside and the animals were all in pissy moods--and they were in the shade. I couldn't get home fast enough. I think we lasted about 2 hours....

Normally, zoo's are great. I would like to go back some day and actually SEE the zoo. :-)

Lyle said...

Bek- with kid photos like that, I'll be a cyber grandpa any day.

Bek said...

You guys are all so nice..... people are being so complementary of my kids....is it because you all know that I am ready to 1) sell them to the gypsies (where DOES one find gypsies these days?) or 2) Sell them to their grandparents?

We have non sleeping infants and two year olds with molars coming who is obsessed with climbing and jumping off dangerous things..and an older one who is convinced that I hate her and that there will never again be fun in our house b/c her aunt is moving out....

Hearing those words does a world of good. Seriously.

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Don't you just love hotels with bathrobes? You have a beautiful, beautiful family.

Lisa said...

Your kids kill me. I'm glad you had a good time.

I want breakfast in bed and a day in my bathrobe!

Betina said...

great pics! blogger is SO tempramental about pictures... worse than a 2 year old.

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures of your beautiful family! But I have to say my favorite is of Cubby at daycare with the wig; what a character!!

Syd said...

Oh, I so love these pictures. Your kids are soooo cute. I'm sorry they are giving you such a hard time right now. No fun. I do know you can find Gypsies in Russia these days (I went on my mish over there). :) Hang in there!! Wish I could take Cubby for a while for ya and let him play with J...

QueenScarlett said...

As always... your pictures just ooze fun. I love doing room service with kiddies... don't you wish you could take room service home with you? And...the maids. ;-) heheheh There's something lovely about a little one eating breakfast in bed and the mommy not stressing about the mess she won't have to clean up!