Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stick a fork in me....

Ha!!!

I feel like I have spent that last few weeks just hoping and praying that the baby would hold off coming "until" (the MRI, the move, etc, etc). It has only been about 16 hours since it would have officially been OK in my mind to have her, and SHE ISN'T HERE.

Um. I am ready not to be pregnant anymore.

The boxes with food, laundry soap, videos and clothes are unpacked. You know, the necessities. I can go to the hospital and let someone else do the rest. Right?

Right?

(cue the crickets...).

Actually my husband is out of town, so it is ok if I don't have this baby right now. Granted, it could be a great story and something fun to hold over his head for a few years ("remember how you missed the birth of your child? I think that it is YOUR turn to wrestle Cubby in the ER"), it would be nice if he was there. So, I will wait. BUT, my labor coach in waiting is my friend Suzi and I have always loved the name Susannah, so if he misses it, I am changing her name to Susannah....I figure that if you aren't there to fill out the birth certificate, you loose your vote.

My sister, Nie, comes tonight. She is going to help me get the rest of the house settled and play with my kids. Like all my sisters, she knows how to show my kids a fun time. I hope she likes sleeping on an air mattress in a room that STILL smells like dog (any suggestions? There is no fiber in the room, it is all wooden--even the walls and floors...how can it still smell like dog?). It might make getting up at all hours with her 18 month old seem like fun again.... Lu is so excited for her to come because Nie does her hair and plays with her toys (she only has boys so far).

Anyway, that is us. As soon as I find the camera I will take pictures. I get Lu registered for school tomorrow, Norah is sleeping just fine while sharing a room with Jacob and we are all getting into a rhythem. Oh, Jacob has already broken the bathtub drain; and actually left the plumber speechless. It took him (the plumber) an HOUR to dismantle the entire thing and fix the spring loaded drain. He kept telling me "I don't know how such a small person could have done so much damage..." Yes, well, read the blog buster and you will also think yourself lucky that it only cost 200$ and a new drain. It could have been MUCH worse. The 48 hour talley-- House = 0 / Jacob = 3. He has also already figured out how to unlock and open our new, screenless windows (the beautiful kind that crank open). The goal for the next 48 hours is to keep him from falling to his death from his bedroom. Good times.

Acutally, Jacob is thrilled with the new place. There are a million boxes outside and he gets to spend all day OUTSIDE, hitting the boxes with a big stick. In fact, all three kids have been outside most of the day. I knew having a yard was going to be good, but this is REALLY good. Our wonderful nanny, Emma (who tag teams with our other wonderful nanny, Erin) has been taking the kids to the park each day, walking them everywhere, making brownies and even taught them about sour grass (a yellow flower that kids love to chew on... I had never heard of this, but apparently I am the only child on earth that hasn't....). What am I going to do when she is gone? She is going to Nepal for a few months to work with children there. Emma, I don't believe that those kids need you more than MY kids (just kidding). Good thing we have Erin, but she is leaving me too shortly to go have a fun and exciting life starting her own business and being awesome in the Pacific Northwest. Whatever. Actually, we are VERY blessed to have both of these people in our lives right now. The kids love them and they are helping me out so much. I am just glad I get them while I do.

Wow, off to go find the woodland creatures and make some sort of dinner (lets see.... mac and cheese, or mac and cheese? Or Girl Scout cookies. No wait, we had those last night...). I will find the camera someday......

17 comments:

Nellie said...

I love that when I read your blog I can actually hear you saying what you have written. I wish I were half as clever as you, and I totally know the feeling of just waiting for the baby. It is like groundhog day -- waking up and yep, still pregnant! It is the worst! It is the only time in my life I have ever been jealous of people who have to have c-sections. You just need and END date . . .

Jessi Louise said...

We just got done with a move also. We've been here less than two weeks and my boys have already somehow broken the handle off the refrigerator.

I can't imagine doing it all while pregnant. Good luck with everything!

Carina said...

I know a yard will be an answer to all my problems.

Anonymous said...

Maybe just because it's 4:45a.m. and I've been fighting insomnia for the last hour, but this sturck me as funny: "find the woodland creatures and make some sort of dinner." For some reason I thought you were talking about squirrels for dinner.

Anyhow. I'm happy to hear you are getting settled and I hope your sweet baby makes her debut soon! (I'm also so relieved to know you've got great help!!

Betina said...

Sounds like fun. I love love love Jacob stories. He is great, just like my Oakster...

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Labor coach. Tell me more.

Jill said...

For the smelly room try coffee. Don't brew it....just open up a few cans (can be the cheap kind like folgers) and leave them in the room for a few days. Try to leave the door shut as much as possible.

This was the only thing that worked to remove the smell of vomit from my car.

Also...we had to remove all of the cranks from our windows...now our kids are trapped. Hopefully your cranks are removeable.

Good luck!

Leisha Mareth said...

I am glad you are surrounded by a tag team of supporters! I kind of freaked out a little when I saw your husband was out of town.

I'm anxious to meet the little lady! Well, through pictures anyway!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

i heard about the coffee too, i was just about to write that!... my mother in law swears by it!

paige said...

When we rented our Montclair house, the smell of cat lingered. We used pet odor neutralizer on the wood floors, vacuumed everything vertical (in case we missed more hair, etc.) and we blanketed the basement in charcoal. The smell improved a good bit after the rains ended--so you should be happier in a month too, I would think.

Anonymous said...

Fenced yards are a Tender Mercy of the Lord.

Yellow sour grass? You really never ate those when you were a kid? Sheesh- we ate them till our stomaches were sick!

Yay for being done!

Erin said...

Don't fix dinner, just send the kids to graze on the grass in the backyard.

Congrats on the move and the nannies and on almost being done being pregnant!

You really must find your camera before that beautiful baby of yours is born, otherwise you might have a blog revolt on your hands. :)

Wendy said...

I love your sense of humor.

Wendy form Flippin' Sweet

Suzie Petunia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzie Petunia said...

Moving while pregnant... you are amazing! And way to go, Jacob! He always keeps me so entertained via your blog...

Ivy Lou said...

Hey Bek,

It's fun to see how you are doing!! I have a suggestion for the smell. We had pets and messy people and then a fire in our previous house and one of our good friends gave us a gallon of some stuff called ODO-BAN. It is the greatest stuff ever. It helped the smels that were in the walls, fabric, and I even used it on the plywood floors before we put in our carpet. It also kills a lot of bad things you don't want around...bacteria, viruses, even HIV if you soak it. I definitely give it a thumbs up! Take care.

sue-donym said...

I hope all goes perfectly tomorrow. You are in my thoughts.